8 minutes walk from the hotel
The ceremony of bridge founding took place on June 27, 1909, exactly two hundred years from the Battle of Poltava. Hence the bridge was named after the victor of that battle: Emperor Peter the Great Bridge. The bridge itself was manufactured in Warsaw and components were transported to the construction site and assembled. This is described by the bronze plaque (120 cm by 180 cm) that can be seen from the pedestrian walkway on the right pylon if crossing from the left side of Neva.
The bridge was open for traffic on October 26, 1911. In 1956 the bridge was renamed Bolsheokhtinsky after the Big Okhta river, but in 2004 the original name was partially restored, although the title of Emperor was dropped from the name. Today people call this bridge both Peter the Great Bridge and Bolsheokhtinsky Bridge. In 2000, the opening of the artistic illumination of the bridge took place.